This creamy cucumber and onions salad is a great way to make use of the cucumbers that are abundant in summer. We came up with the idea when we were hosting a German dinner party for friends. We needed a salad to serve as a side dish but wanted it to be dairy-free. This salad is quick to make and ideal for summer gatherings. We’ll show you how to do it!
How to make Creamy Cucumber salad
This creamy cucumber salad is dairy-free thanks to the dressing, which is made from thick and tangy coconut yogurt. Dijon mustard, garlic, and apple cider vinegar add extra zing. Maple syrup and salt and pepper balance it out.
This salad is primarily made up of red onion, fresh dill, and cucumber.
The red onion has the most sweetness of all onions. It is, therefore, the best choice for salads. If you want something milder, you can scald the garlic and onion in boiling water.
Cucumbers have a cooling and hydrating effect, which makes them ideal for summer. They are also rich in antioxidants and fiber. Let’s not forget their satisfying crunch.
- As written, use 1/2 medium red onion.
- One large clove of garlic, minced
- We like Culina plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- Half a teaspoon of each black pepper and sea salt
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp (1 medium lemon, as written in the recipe)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard (or Yellow Mustard): 2 tsp
- 1 – 2 tbsp of maple syrup (to balance the flavor)
- Dill, finely chopped: 1/4 cup
- As written, the recipe calls for 2 cups of cucumber thinly sliced.
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl (except for the cucumber and dill): onion, garlic yogurt, salt and pepper, lemon, apple cider vinegar, and mustard. Mix the dressing till smooth. Note: To reduce the intensity of the onion/garlic taste, soak the onions and garlic for five minutes in boiling water, then strain and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the dressing again and add the dill and sliced cucumbers, and continue to mix until all of the cucumber is coated.
- Add maple syrup or lemon juice to balance acidity. Dill is a good herb flavor. Or, add more cucumber if you want a less saucy sauce.
- Fresh is best. Store dressing and cucumber in separate containers in the fridge for up to 2 days if you prepare in advance. This product is not freezer-friendly.